Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Girl Scout Promise and Law

The beginning of the Girl Scout year is an excellent time to review the foundations of the organization, namely the Promise and the Law. New Daisy troops automatically do this because they are learning them for the first time and their petal project focus on the parts of the law.

After that first year, however, we don't necessarily dwell on the words and their meaning. If you've read some of my previous articles, you'll know that I believe that if you know the Promise and the Law, you know everything you need to know to be a Girl Scout. How you fulfill the promise and follow the law is an individual matter. For now, take a moment to reflect on the words as they were and as they are today.

The 1972 version is the "real" promise and law to me in that those were the decades in which I was a girl Girl Scout. The essence of what is said hasn't changed from the 1972 version, but my tongue still trips over the new words.

The Girl Scout Promise in 1912

On my honor, I will try:
To do my duty to God and my country,
To help other people at all times,
To obey the Girl Scout Laws.

The Girl Scout Laws in 1912

1. A Girl Scout's Honor Is to be Trusted
2. A Girl Scout Is Loyal
3. A Girl Scout's Duty Is to be Useful and to Help Others
4. A Girl Scout is a Friend to All, and a Sister to every other Girl Scout no matter to what Social Class she May Belong
5. A Girl Scout Is Courteous
6. A Girl Scout Keeps Herself Pure
7. A Girl Scout Is a Friend to Animals
8. A Girl Scout Obeys Orders
9. A Girl Scout is Cheerful
10. A Girl Scout is Thrifty

The Girl Scout Laws in 1920
I have found no evidence that the Promise changed in 1920


The Girl Scout Laws
1. A Girl Scout's Honor Is to be Trusted
2. A Girl Scout Is Loyal
3. A Girl Scout's Duty Is to be Useful and to Help Others
4. A Girl Scout is a Friend to All, and a Sister to every other Girl Scout
5. A Girl Scout Is Courteous
6. A Girl Scout Is a Friend to Animals
7. A Girl Scout Obeys Orders
8. A Girl Scout is Cheerful
9. A Girl Scout is Thrifty
10. A Girl Scout is Clean in Thought, Word and Deed.

The Girl Scout Promise in 1972

On my honor, I will try:
To serve God,
My country and mankind,
and to live by the Girl Scout Law

The Girl Scout Law in 1972

I will do my best:
to be honest
to be fair
to help where I am needed
to be cheerful
to be friendly and considerate
to be a sister to every Girl Scout
to respect authority
to use resources wisely
to protect and improve the world around me
to show respect for myself and others through my words and actions

The Current Girl Scout Promise

On my honor, I will try:
To serve God* and my country,
To help people at all times,
And to live by the Girl Scout Law.

The Current Girl Scout Law
Adopted in 1996


I will do my best to be
honest and fair,
friendly and helpful,
considerate and caring,
courageous and strong, and
responsible for what I say and do,
and to
respect myself and others,
respect authority,
use resources wisely,
make the world a better place,
and be a sister to every Girl Scout.

* The word "God" can be interpreted in a number of ways, depending on one's spiritual beliefs. When reciting the Girl Scout Promise, it is okay to replace the word "God" with whatever word your spiritual beliefs dictate.