Sunday, January 29, 2012

The New Journeys

(Obviously, this post was written a few years ago).

The new Journeys are coming.... I keep hearing that, and I still don't know what it means. That is not very helpful though, so I thought I'd do a quick run down of what I do know.

First, to remind you, I have sixth graders, which means that they are technically Cadettes this year. I say "technically" because we aren't ready to be done with Juniors. Since I row my own canoe generally (mixed metaphor intended), I'm going to formally call them Cadettes in January-ish, and we'll get the new sash and all that jazz then. The way I figure it, I'm meeting the new program halfway and by the time anyone alerts the Girl Scout police and they track us down, the girls will be well on their way to college.

Level changes aside, the next problem we all have are these new Journeys. I'm on a lot of lists and, although I want to reserve judgment, I am alarmed. A first-look report I got on the Cadette-level Journey suggested to me that one of the core messages of this Journey is to teach girls to be nice to everyone with the reward being that everyone will be nice in return.

How awful. The last thing girls need is a program for girls that reinforces a stereotype that has never served their gender well. The first question I have is whether any program for boys would ever have a similar message? I think not, and I don't believe we do a service to our girls by feeding them that kind of drivel. Girls don't need to be taught to "be nice." They need to be taught to stand up for themselves and be assertive. Sugar and spice and everything nice is a Victorian value that should stay in that era.

My second concern with these Journeys is they seem to be focused on self-reflection and journaling. Although that sounds harmless, in reality, my girls are going to view this sort of naval gazing as a waste of time when they could be DOING something. Journaling? To them, that's just more of what they get in school.

My solution so far has been a plan to wait until they come out and if my fears are grounded to ignore them. Girl Scouts has generally always been whatever a troop wants. However, and this is a big however, I am also seeing reports that the Journeys are going to be pre-requisites for Silver and Gold Awards. Big problem. I'm not about to push my girls to work on a program, particularly if advance reports as to content and form are true....